Sunday, August 9, 2009

Timpanogos Cave

We arrived in Utah safe and sound last week. I finally have my computer out of the box and the Internet hooked up, which means I can blog again. Yeah! The first thing I wanted to do in Utah with my kids was take them hiking. Merritt and I both have missed hiking in the mountains. So we took the kids to Timpanogos to see the caves.

These caves are a place I had gone to several times as a child. I remember how amazing and otherworldly they seemed to me then, and I wanted to show Collin. We climbed over 1,000 vertical feet in 1.5 miles which was a real challenge for the kids. But they did great. The caves were every bit as cool as I remember them being.





The words stalagtite and stalagmite are now in Collin's vocabulary. Collin said his favorite part was seeing the "heart" of Timpanogos (see photo above), which is a stalagtite as tall as me and three feet wide that weighs 4,000 pounds. It is pretty impressive.

I think my favorite part was the panoramic views of the valley floor from the top of the mountain...and seeing this beautiful bird which I found out later is called a Stellar's Jay. (I could see myself getting into bird watching.)

Luke was a little weary of the cave, especially because he hadn't yet finished his peanut butter sandwich and didn't understand why he couldn't take it into the cave. He started to cry before the tour even began. He kept shouting, "This is scary!" I knew I had to think of something quick. I told him we were going to see where Thomas the Train lived. Sure enough he stopped crying.

Through every tunnel we expectantly looked for Thomas. Thankfully by the end he wasn't disappointed that Thomas wasn't home. He decided he liked the cave. Every new site he came upon he would shout, "Wow! This is awesome!" I was proud of myself for coming up with a small fib to save the day. And we all got another stamp in our National Parks Passports.

As fun as the day was, I will say I do miss my home in Oregon terribly. I'm still crying in fact. But I enjoy looking out my bedroom window and seeing mountains again, especially as the sun sets and turns them pink. I never grow tired of seeing that.

1 comment:

More of Mom's Special Moments said...

Its ok to cry, we're still doing some of that here for ya too!!