Monday, August 31, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten





The following conversation occurred after snapping 132 photos of Collin before he left for his first day of kindergarten this afternoon.

We were sitting on the front porch waiting for school to start when Collin asked me, "Mom, what's your favorite thing to do?" I said, "Play with you." He smiled and then said, "Oh, I would have said it was taking pictures."

I tried to explain why moms like to take a lot of pictures on the first day of kindergarten. The day you send your baby out into the world is a big day. It's hard to let go. But it's also a very happy and special day that you want to always remember.

When I picked him up, Collin said he had a great first day of school. He was smiling and excited and happy and full of things to tell me. He's such a good, happy kid. I love him and am very proud of him always.

The only disappointment of the day came on my account. I assumed schools here served lunch to the kindergarten. (They did where I just came from in Oregon.) It turns out Utah schools don't.

Silly me packed my child some lunch and gave him some milk money. When I picked him up, I asked him if the hot lunch looked better than his cold lunch. He then told me that all they served was a cookie, and no milk.

I realized then that he had been served a snack but not a lunch. His lunch was still in his backpack. My poor child was starving. I felt like the worst mother ever. But it didn't seem to put a damper on his day. Tomorrow will be even better, I guess. He gets to go to school AND eat lunch! (Sigh.)

Luke of course was wishing he could go to school too. He put on his new Thomas the Train "pack-pack" and wanted to be in the pictures too. So cute. Then the boys had a flower fight that ended with them picking flowers to put in my hair. I love boys.

4 comments:

Wendi said...

You crack me up! Lunch? They're only there for 3 hours! I love it! That's a great story!

I'm so happy he survived his first day! I am sure it's going to be a great year!

Ryan & Brooke said...

What a fun time for Collin. With inquisitive an thoughtful as he is I am sure this year is going to be so full of new adventures in learning.

Unknown said...

oh--i totally get the picture thing. that's funny!

did you cry? i have to go through this in a week with hollynd. i'm not ready for her to go to kindergarten! yah--i'm a boob. don't judge me.

Ryan & Brooke said...

I can't believe Collin and Camp have started school this year. They were so itty bitty when we first moved to Florence! What happened? I think it's time for a new post on Mom's School. I've given the link out to three of my friends in the past two weeks. Keep the great lessons comming! Hope all is well in UT. It Merritt with you guys now? I made your lemon bars the other day, not as good as when you make them, not even close. So sad.