Friday, September 24, 2010

Party and Party S'more




S'more cupcakes anyone? We celebrated Luke's 4th birthday with a camping party in our backyard. It was so fun. The kids fished in the wading pool lake, dug in the sandbox for plastic bugs and frogs, painted their own puzzle on jumbo craft sticks, had story time in a tent filled with balloons, played hide and seek, played Duck Duck Moose around the fire pit, then used a compass to look for clues and find a cooler filled with goodie bags.

That night Merritt, Collin and Luke built a fire in our backyard, roasted marshmallows, and slept in a tent we had set up in the backyard. And the next morning we surprised Luke with tickets to the circus. (When I asked Luke what he wanted to do for his birthday he said, "Go camping and go to the circus.") This was good, because we don't need any more toys. Although, my mom did manage to find a train table second hand. Luke has been playing trains non-stop ever since. Love this boy.

Last night I was listening to the prophet speak at the annual General Relief Society meeting, which is on TV and broadcast from SLC. Luke was playing by my side at his train table. When the prophet ended his talk, I had tears in my eyes. Luke asked me if I was crying. I said, no, these are just Holy Ghost tears. The Holy Ghost is telling me that what he is saying is true. Then Luke looked at me and said, "Mom, I know this is Heavenly Father's world."

More tears....and Luke gave me a big hug. This was the first time Luke shared his testimony with me. I'm sure it won't be the last. I'm glad it was on his birthday so I'll remember it. I know even children, and especially children, recognize truth when they hear it. They can feel God's love for them. I am grateful Heavenly Father has entrusted me with three valiant boys. It is a privilege to be their mother. Happy birthday Luke.

7 comments:

 Amy said...

whaaa? Those look amazing, apes! I hope we get to eat some of those at the family party tomorrow. I want to eat 12 of them!!!

More of Mom's Special Moments said...

Those are totally awesome. . you could go on Cupcake Wars!!!

velinda said...

Hap-Hap-Hap-Happy Birthday to Luke! Wish I could have some of that treat! Love you Bunches and S'more!

Rob and Marseille said...

what a special moment between you and Luke

rat said...

Happy Birthday Luke! We miss you. Happy Birthing day to you April, good work. Love, Amber and co.

R. B said...

That party sounds like a blast, and perfectly taylored to Luke. You do work hard on these parties and what a great memory for them to feel the love! :) His testimony was beautiful and you love your boys so much April! :) Love and miss ya!

R. B said...

Crap what a hokey way to spell tailored.