Thursday, September 2, 2010

First Day of First Grade






Collin's teacher seems great and the school is new and nice. He loves eating school lunch, playing at recess and earning stickers for his sticker book. He is also excited because his teacher lets the kids teach the class some times. (They have show and teach instead of show and tell.) At back to school night, his teacher said Collin has excellent handwriting and is a pleasure to have in her class. So far, so good.

Then yesterday Collin came home and said he was getting quite the reputation at school...for eating ants! Apparently, Collin told some kid he had eaten them before (which was news to me) and the kid didn't believe him. So Collin decided he would prove it by eating some more. Problem is, now the word is out and kids are asking him to eat all sorts of things from worms to grasshoppers.

That was yesterday. Tonight I came back from taking Owen for a stroller ride to find Collin and Luke trying to start a fire in the living room. (Merritt was in the backyard building a sand box.) They had loaded up our living room stove with sticks, plugged in a battery charger to an outlet, wrapped a piece of toilet paper around one of the sticks, and stuck it in the battery charger. I guess they figured it was getting hot, and might just get hot enough to start the toilet paper on fire.

Heaven help me.

Yet (call me crazy) I miss Collin when he's gone all day. My little buddy is at school from 8:30 - 4:00! I confess it has seemed a bit lonely to me. The days seem to drag. Luke asks me throughout the day when Collin is going to be home. Owen carries around a miniature toy school bus and looks out the window a lot. When I told Collin that his brothers miss him, he got a big smile on his face. It feels good to be loved.

3 comments:

Ryan & Brooke said...

That is took funny about the ants and starting a fire. They have quite the imaginations and are now getting big enough to find ways to execute those ideas. Love it.

Emily said...

Collin sounds like the very kid I would have had a crush on, I loved the dark haired brown eyed boys who were show offs. I would have been very impressed by his bug eating skills. I am glad he can feel so missed and loved, that must build him too, and I am glad his teacher lets them teach at show and tell, that is awesome! BTW, Milly typed in a little comment after his b-day post for him.

velinda said...

How time flies on wings of lightning! It was just the other day when we were welcoming Collin to the planet! p.s. I'm afraid he comes by his bug-eating skills honestly, his GranDad was famous (infamous) for eating a caterpillar. He was was 20. *sigh*