Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Stawberry Fields Forever



We picked strawberries at the farm last Saturday. We've been going to this farm every year since we moved to Florence. And we look forward to this day all year long. These strawberries put all grocery store berries to shame. Texture, size and taste make these the best strawberries you'll ever eat. And boy did we eat a lot of them!

We picked two buckets full ourselves, and purchased two flats more. Needless to say, I've been in the kitchen all weekend. I made SEVEN batches of strawberry jam. We danced in our living room, singing to the Beatles' "Stawberry Fields Forever". I love days like this...when you know you're making a memory.

Our strawberry fest this week will include strawberry smoothies, strawberry and spinach salad, strawberry & mango salsa, strawberry cheesecake, crescent rolls smothered in jam and, of course, peanut butter and jam sandwiches. We've also given many strawberries away. We love to share them with everyone, especially if people have never tasted a fresh-picked strawberry before. I've shared them with those I visit teach, with neighbors, and even the grumpy old man who lives across the street.

Yesterday, Collin was out riding his bike in the circle and the old man apparently told Collin to go home. Collin was in tears. I had to go and talk to him and explain that Collin is allowed to ride his bike in the circle. He was extremely rude to me. His opinion was basically that kids should stay in their own backyards where he can't see them. But after some smooth talking on my part, he finally started to be somewhat agreeable. The problem appeared to be resolved, at least temporarily.

We went back into the house and decided to take him some fresh strawberries. He was still out in his yard when we brought them over. He finally began to speak kindly to us, and we could tell the gesture softened his heart. We definitely put beans in our peacemaker jar after that one! I shed a few tears later that day because it had been so stressful to me. But alls well that ends well. At least it was a good opportunity to teach Collin that "kindness begins with me".

3 comments:

Katie said...

Oh April!

I LOVED this post! How fun that you all got to go to the strawberry fields. What a fun tradition to have as a family. Wow, your strawberries are making me hungry for some! :)

What a good example you set for Colin and Luke with that grumpy old man. Good on you April for standing up for yourself and Colin! I'm pretty sure that that experience will go into Colin's memory of how to be. Good job April!

How fun that you and the boys are going to be coming into town. I really look forward to catching up with you then! Yippeee!!!

Love you girlie!

Katie

Miriam said...

I love that little face that Collin is making while he stirs the strawberries. It's so blissful and boyish. This sounds like a treasure of a tradition in your fam, and I can't wait to share the love--we would love to try some of that strawberry jam:)

Emily said...

This picture is so calming and lovely. I love how it is not posed, did Merritt take it? The dancing, the strawberry picking and preserving, what fun memories! I was so sad as I read about the old man and his grumpiness and felt a portion of your stress, how you ever talked through it, and then served him, is beyond me, I would have melted in tears and emotion or anger, or something not good, but thank you for the lovely example. And cheers to the strawberry pickers!